Wednesday 6 November 2013

Red Nightfall "Late in the Fever"

I like to think I have a broad sense of music taste. It may only really centre in the realms of rock, but which seems to confuse people when I tell them I have a broad taste. Sure there are people out there whose iPods feature rock along with hip-hop and country and what not, in a sense I guess that’s a broad taste, more in genres than in music though. I mean they have country, but only two or three different artists and only a song or two by each artist, than they have whatever the latest hit is by Katy Perry or whomever. And the people who listen to classic rock, I’ll be damned if I find more than just Stairway to Heaven on their iPod. These people should listen to Supertramp, then Joe Walsh, then Our Lady Peace, then move up to Alter Bridge and Protest the Hero, THEN tell me I don’t have a broad sense of music taste.



I don’t claim to like every sub-genre of rock. Hell, I don’t claim to even know many of them well; but I am always willing to discover. One of my most recent discoveries is a Toronto based band by the name of Red Nightfall. I’m not really one to sub-categorize the crap out of bands to the point where they are the only band in that sub-genre like some professionals do, but I’m a little at a loss at where to place these guys. After giving their EP Late in the Fever a few listens, the best I could categorize them is somewhere in the “alternative” field, but its mellow - just so mellow. Let me get more specific.

The opening track Culled In Dye features the sound of relatively clean sounding guitars and a calming drum beat by drummer Welland Sin. By just this, the song is rather relaxing to listen to, open for interpretation, but then the singing starts. Addison Siemko’s vocal approach is something of a serious nature, and it single handily gives the song a dark feel.


This sound continues pretty well through the rest of the EP. Chant seems to be mellower than ever, and even a little less dark, with Addison changing his vocal approach slightly to be almost soothing. Temples turns up the volume a bit on their sound. It keeps the same clean guitar and soothing dark vocals, but just turns the volume up on them to fill the speakers a bit better. Victorian Engineers has a bit more of a jazz feel to it while closing track Inheritance adds in new age sounding background effects, further soothing their sound, but interrupting it with the heaviest drum beat featured on the whole EP.

What impresses me most about the album is their drummer. Not usually do I notice such consistency in drums. In this case, what is consistent about them is that each song carries complex beats. In fact, the entire rhythm of each song, bass included, is a chemistry that is not commonly heard. I enjoy the originality of this EP, however while no two songs sound alike, I feel there could have been a little more difference between each song.

The band, unfortunately, doesn’t have any of their songs on YouTube, but you can hear the band’s music on their website, from both this EP and their self-titled album.

ALBUM HIGHLIGHT

Chant” –­ The EP isn’t consistently dark, though it has its moments, it is first and foremost a soothing sounding EP. Chant shows that sound perfectly, with the singing, with the guitar playing, and with the rhythm section. The singing picks up in its intensity as the song does on to show for far the band can go in their music.


FINAL RATING

7.5 (Out of 10)


Track List:

1.
Culled In Dye
2:30
2.
Chant
3:15
3.
Temples
3:14
4.
Victorian Engineers
3:50
5.
Inheritance  
4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment